Main Elementary School is a public
school serving grades Pre-K through Sixth. The school was built in 1898,
making the school Rome's second oldest public school. The original
school was a high school. Unfortunately, the old Main High School burned
on December 27, 1962. Work began on a new elementary school in 1963.
The school was built just down the hill from the site of the original
Main School. Recent construction has added a new wing with four new
classrooms, a clinic, a conference room, a parent waiting area, and
administrative offices. The average class size is 16 students.
Main Elementary has always been fully accredited by SACS. It has also
been awarded Pay for Performance and a National Blue Ribbon Award. Main
Elementary School was also one of sixteen exemplary programs selected to
be a part of the Seventh Annual Bus Trip Across Georgia sponsored by
the Georgia Partnership for Excellence in Education (GPEE).
Main Elementary School aspires to reach every child by utilizing several
outstanding programs. Among these are an excellent mentoring program,
Boys and Girls Club, DARE program, and Rites of Passage Delta Sigma
Theta program. Main Elementary School works hard to improve the personal
an educational values of students. The school not only plays a
significant role in the lives of its current students, but also several
generations of former students who attended Main when our school was a
high school. These former students are now parents and grandparents of
Main Elementary students. Although significant changes have occurred in
the neighborhood and in family structure, the school remains a symbol of
community pride and the "extended family".
Main Elementary School strives to maintain a close bond with the
community. The annual Community Picnic, involving parents, elected
officials/civic leaders, business partners, and other community members
help support the idea of teamwork.