Rome City Schools: Title I Complaint Procedures
Rome City Schools is committed to open communication with Title I schools in order to reach the goal of educating all students. The following procedures have been developed to handle complaints dealing with federal programs, services, and staff members. All Title I complaints are to be directed to the Director of Title I using the procedures outlined below.
Any individual, organization or agency (“complainant”) may file a complaint with the Rome City School District Board of Education if that individual, organization, or agency believes and alleges that a violation of a Federal statute or regulation that applies to a program under the No Child Left Behind Act has occurred. The complaint must allege a violation that occurred not more than one (1) year prior to the date that the complaint is received, unless a longer period is reasonable because the violation is considered systemic or ongoing.
Complaint Procedures under the ESEA No Child Left Behind Act
A. Grounds for a Complaint
Any individual, organization or agency (“complainant”) may file a complaint with the Rome City Schools Board of Education if that individual, organization or agency believes and alleges that a violation of a Federal statute or regulation that applies to a program under the No Child Left Behind Act has occurred. The complaint must allege a violation that occurred not more than one (1) year prior to the date that the complaint is received, unless a longer period is reasonable because the violation is considered systemic or ongoing.
B.Federal Programs for Which Complaints Can Be Filed
1. Title I, Part A: Improving Basic Programs Operated by Local Educational Agencies
2. Title I, Part D: Prevention and Intervention Programs for Children and Youth Who Are Neglected, Delinquent, or At-Risk
3. Title II, Part A: Teacher and Principal Training and Recruiting Fund
4. Title III, Part A: English Language Acquisition, Language Enhancement, and Academic Achievement
5. Title IX, Part E, Subpart 1, Section 9503: Complaint Process for Participation of Private School Children
C.Filing a Complaint
A formal complaint must be filed in writing to the Rome City Schools superintendent or his/her designee.
The complaint must include the following:
1. A statement that the LEA has violated a requirement of a Federal statute or regulation that applies to an applicable program;
2. The date on which the violation occurred;
3. The facts on which the statement is based and the specific requirement allegedly violated (include citation to the Federal statute or regulation);
4. A list of names and telephone numbers of individuals who can provide additional information;
5. Copies of all applicable documents supporting the complainant’s position; and
6. The address of the complainant.
D.Investigation of Complaint
Within ten (10) days of receipt of the complaint, the Director of Title I will review the completed Complaint Form. The Director of Title I will contact the originator(s) of the complaint in order to resolve the complaint. This will usually occur within ten (10) working days after receipt of the complaint. The Superintendent will be notified of the complaint. If additional information or an investigation is necessary, the Superintendent will have sixty (60) days from receipt of the information or completion of the investigation to issue a Letter of Findings. If the Letter of Findings indicates that a violation has been found, corrective action will be required and timelines for completion will be included. The timelines outlined above may be extended, if exceptional circumstances exist.
E. Right of Appeal
If the complaint cannot be resolved at the local level, the complainant has the right to request review of the decision by the Georgia Department of Education. The appeal must be accompanied by a copy of the Superintendent’s decision and include a complete statement of the reasons supporting the appeal.
The complaint must be addressed to:
Georgia Department of Education
Title I Office
205 Jesse Hill Jr. Drive SE
2052 Twin Tower East
Atlanta, GA 30334